Summers are fantastic for long days at the pool and backyard barbecues. But with barbecues, come leftovers and you might struggle to think of ways to use all those leftovers, especially the kaiser bun. Here are four ideas on how to use those leftover kaiser buns:
1. Breakfast Sandwiches
Kaiser rolls make delicious and hearty breakfast sandwiches. They work well as a replacement for your usual toast, English muffin, or bagel. You can make a traditional bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich. You can also spread hollandaise sauce on the bun and pile it with eggs and ham.
2. Beef on Weck Sandwiches
With your leftover kaiser roll, you can make the famous beef on weck sandwiches. Beef on weck is a mouth-watering dish that originated in Buffalo, NY. It is a sandwich made from pork roast that is cooked for hours until it is moist and tender. The recipe is simple and requires only a few ingredients. The recipe is as follows:
- 8 kaiser rolls
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, roast, or butt
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Place roast in a slow cooker and rub with salt and pepper. Pour the 1/2 cup of vinegar over the roast.
- Slow cook roast for 8 hours on low.
- Before serving pork, preheat oven to 350. Mix eggs, 2 tablespoons salt, and 2 tablespoons caraway seeds in a bowl.
- Place the rolls on baking sheet and brush with egg and salt mixture. Bake in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Top rolls with pork and your favorite toppings.
3. Garlic Bread
Are you having pasta or lasagna? Turn your leftover kaiser rolls into delicious, pull-apart, cheesy garlic bread. You simply cut slits into the rolls about 3/4 of the way through, brush a garlic butter mixture over the top, and sprinkle with your favorite cheese. They're tasty, easy, and take only five minutes to make. Here's the full recipe:
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 clove minced or shredded garlic or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup of your favorite cheese. You can also do 1/2 cup each of 2 different types of cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on low heat. Add the Italian seasoning and garlic and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet. Cut slits in each roll about 3/4 of the way through the roll. Turn the rolls and cut slits perpendicular to the other slits, making a grid.
- Brush the rolls with the garlic butter. Sprinkle each roll with cheese.
- Place rolls in oven and bake for 5 minutes.
If you have little ones and you're looking for a simple lunch you can make that they will love, use the kaiser rolls to make pizzas. Pizzas made with kaiser rolls are great because they're little, easy to make, and completely customizable. Get your children involved by having them top half a bun face up with sauce, cheese, and toppings of their choice. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
These are four ways you can use those leftover rolls from your summer barbecue. If you'd like more information on kaiser rolls, check out the site.